Tuesday, June 5, 2012

An Introduction and Youkoso! (Welcome!)

Hi there! Welcome to my blog and thanks for reading my first-ever blog post. I've never blogged before and it feels a bit strange to put my thoughts on display like this, but as my time in Japan will be filled with new experiences, I figure I might as well get used to it!




The JET Program (JET stands for Japan Exchange and Teaching, by the way) was something I first heard about in high school from my Japanese teacher. At the time, it seemed like a cool opportunity, but I wasn't thinking about my plans after college at all so JET went to the back of my mind for quite a while. In college I took Japanese classes again and rediscovered my interest in JET. I had heard from some of my friends and teachers who had been on JET or knew people who had about how JET was a great opportunity for people interested in Japan, kids, and teaching. At first, the idea of being a teacher scared me quite a bit, but after learning more about the program and also doing various tutoring and volunteer work with kids, I started to think that I would probably enjoy teaching quite a bit.


I’ll give a little rundown of JET for those who aren’t familiar with it. The JET Program started in 1987 as a cultural exchange between people from English-speaking countries and Japanese students and educators. The program is run by the Japanese government and the participants are hired as teachers by their individual prefectures or Boards of Education. More than 50,000 people from over 50 different countries have participated in the program since it began. The main countries that send JETs are the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa but pretty much anyone from any country who is fluent in English can apply. JET is extremely competitive and applicants must prove themselves in an extensive written application as well as an in-person interview. Knowing how many people apply for this program each year and are not accepted makes me feel incredibly lucky to have this opportunity.

Applying for JET is essentially just one big waiting game. Here is a timeline of the application and acceptance process. As you can see, you have to start preparing almost a year in advance. But as this is an incredible opportunity and moving abroad does take a lot of careful preparation, it definitely makes sense. I secretly think that the process is meant to teach you patience that you will likely need in the classroom and in living in Japan as a foreigner in general. 

Late September   Application Process Begins
Mid October         Early Applications Accepted
Late November         Application Deadline (Varies by Country)
January                 1st Notice Sent to Applicants
February                 Interviews Held at Japanese Embassies/Consulates
Late March         Interview Results Sent to Tokyo
April                         2nd Notice Sent to Applicants (Successful applicants are notified)
May                         Submit Health Check and Reply Forms
May-August         Successful Applicants Receive Notification
May-July                 Sucessful Applicants Receive Placement Information
July                         Pre-Departure Orientation
July/August         Departure on Designated Day
                        Tokyo Orientation



I am getting ready to leave for Japan on July 28th... time is flying by and I still have a lot to do, but I'm trying to enjoy my time with family and friends as much as possible before I leave. I'll be writing posts about my placement in Japan and also a little more detail about the application process as well as what happens once you are accepted. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment